The IoT projects They are increasingly popular among makers and professionals who are based on development boards such as Arduino or their own SBC Raspberry Pi. Security in these projects is key, since they could be remotely attacked or their functions altered if there are vulnerabilities. That is the concern that ATECC608 comes to solve.
Until now there were many modules and elements to create projects of all kinds, but few really oriented to strengthen security until this element of the Microchip company, the famous developer of products like its PIC microcontrollers.
The project ATECC608 It allows you to add a Microchip security chip to your Raspberry Pi, so that it can protect your IoT design against physical and remote attacks. In addition, the module is very small, and easily connected to the Rasbperry Pi, in addition to having a price of as low as $ 10.
ATECC608 is very Easy to use, you just have to connect it to the Raspberry Pi following its quick guide that you will find in this GitHub address. After that, it is ready to use with Python examples available on the Microchip GitHub that you will find in this other link. And if you're wondering about its design, it's open-source (CERN OHL v1.2).For those who do not know, CERN OHL or Open Hardware License is an open source license intended for hardware projects. It was created by CERN and several versions have been published, such as this v1.2 which is the last one revised in 2013.
All designed with Microchip technology, but designed by the French company mgIT.at and created by OTS Security.
La idea is that it begins to become popular to protect IoT projects with Raspberry Pi, to use secure connections with TLS, anti-cloning, PKCS11 Token, etc.
Technical characteristics of the ATEC608
For more information on the ATECC608, say you have the following characteristics:
- Encryption co-processor with secure hardware password storage.
- Storage protection up to 16 keys, certificates or data.
- ECDH FIPS SP800-56A Elliptic Curve Deffie-Hellman, an anonymous key establishment rotocol that allows two parties with elliptic curves public-private key, to establish a shared secret on an insecure channel.
- NIST P256 standard supported
- SHA-256 and HMAC hash
- AES-128 to encrypt and decrypt
- RNG (Randon Number Generator) FIPS 800-90 A / B / C
- Backward compatibility ATECC508