Now Raspberry Pi 4 More and more opponents come out, and it is not the only SBC that exists, although it is the most popular and the favorite of many users. One of those alternatives that is giving a lot to talk about lately is the Banana Pi BPI-M5, a board model that can compete in terms of features with the Pi 4 and with some very interesting improvements that you should know.
Banana Pi Open Source Project It has already left us very remarkable plates, such as models such as the M2, F4, M1, etc., as well as other related products with the IoT that can be very useful for all those makers who want to create their own cheap DIY projects.
About Banana Pi BPI-M5
There are several alternatives to the Raspberry Pi 4But not all of them offer enough to make it worth buying one of these SBC boards instead of the one from the Raspberry Pi Foundation. In this case, Banana Pi BPI-M5 could be a serious competitor.
One of the attractions that the original Raspberry Pi itself does not include and that this Banana Pi BPI-M5 does have is the implementation of internal storage. While the original Pi only relies on SD memory cards, the Banana Pi has included an internal flash memory type eMMC, like that of mobile devices.
Also, here is a summary of the Technical specifications, which are quite surprising:
- Amlogic S905X3 SoC with 4 ARM Cortex-A55 2 Ghz cores + Mali-G31 MP2 GPU at 650Mhz.
- 4GB LPDDR4 RAM
- 16 GB internal memory type eMCC flash. Reportedly, there will be more models for sale with different capacities to choose from, up to 64GB.
- MicroSD card reader to expand it up to 2TB.
- 4 USB ports 3.0
- 1 USB Type C port
- 1 Gigabit Ethernet port (RJ-45)
- 1 HDMI 2.1 port for external display up to 4K @ 60Hz with HDR, CEC and EDID.
- Operating System: Accepts Android and GNU / Linux, although many more details have yet to be revealed.
- SBC dimensions of 92 × 60mm and a weight of only 48g.
Where do you buy?
That is the bad news, and it is that the technical characteristics have simply been revealed, since it has not yet gone on sale. It has only been officially announced that there will be a Banana Pi BPI-M5, but you will have to wait a bit for its release. No further details have been given ... Neither date of sale nor price.
For the moment, you should settle for the original or other similar plates: