This article will be dedicated to another new electronic component to add to the list. A device that you can also combine with development boards, such as Arduino. Also, if you need to know more about what a DC DC converter, here you can learn everything essential about this circuit, from what it is, to how it works and its applications.
As you can see, a device that does not transform from one type of current to another, As the power supplies, and that may have similarities with some elements voltage regulators, since it will alter precisely this magnitude ...
Table of Contents
What is a DC DC converter?
Un DC-DC converter It is a type of converter that will transform from a direct current to another direct current, but with a different voltage level. That is, it does not convert between types of current, it only modifies the voltage level. In addition, they are very popular circuits in electronics (robotics, drones, power supplies, electric vehicles, chargers, ...).
These DC DC converters they will store the energy that goes into a temporary warehouse and then they will deliver it at an outlet at a different voltage. For that to be possible, magnetic field storage such as inductors or electric field storage such as capacitors must be used. While to carry out the switching, transistors, diodes, etc. are used.
For example, it may be common to find DC DC Buck Converters, with an LM2596 that can have a typical input of 4.5v up to 40v DC and output 1.23 to 37v DC.
Some DC DC converters allow energy to be transferred in a bidirectionalFor this, the diodes of conventional converters are replaced by independently controlled transistors. This other type of conversion is used for some systems such as regenerative vehicle brakes or KERS.
As for the format, you will find them in the form of integrated circuitsIn addition, they can also come in the form of a module, with other elements added to make them more functional and that they can be used in a simpler way.
Types of converters
There are different types of DC DC converters, depending on its particularities. The most common are:
- BUCK: it is the simplest and is usually the most common. It has the input and output ground together, therefore, it does not have the output isolated from the input. The output voltage will be lower, and of the same polarity as that of the input.
- Elevator (Boost) : in this other type of DC DC converter, the output voltage is always higher than the input voltage. That is, increase the voltage instead of reducing it. The output is not isolated from the input either, since they have the ground together. The problem is that you cannot limit the output current electronically.
- Reverse or reverse (Flyback): the output voltage could be both lower and higher than the input voltage, but with reversed polarity. It is a type of converter can have the output input of the output or not. In those that are isolated, it is done by means of a transformer.
- Direct (Forward): it works the same as a Buck, but it has a transformer that acts as insulation between input and output, being able to make multiple outputs and with a higher voltage than the input, depending on the secondary winding.
- Push-pull (PUSH-PULL): uses transistors at the input of the primary, making a symmetrical wave, and diodes in the secondary, achieving a double wave rectification.
- Bridge: in the secondary winding it is the same as the push-pull winding, but in the primary it performs the symmetric wave with four bridge transistors that work in pairs.
- Half-Bridge: it is a simplification of the DC DC bridge converter, having two transistors and two capacitors in the primary.
Where to buy a DC DC converter for Arduino
You can find a multitude of formats and types of DC DC converters to include in your projects. They are available to you in stores specialized in electronic components, or also in large online platforms such as Amazon. If you need one of these converters, here you go some recommendations:
- Adjustable DC DC Buck Lenxnmy Converter with LM2596S in module. It includes a screen with a voltmeter to show the values.
- Yizhet 5 pieces of DC DC converter with LM2596 in module.
- AZDelivery XL4016 Arduino compatible DC DC converter and eBook included.