As has been commented since ELIX Polymers, a company specialized in the creation and design of ABS plastic for 3D printing based in the Spanish province of Tarragona, due to the great interest shown by a large part of the community during the celebration of the international plastic fair, they have decided to invest more resources in the development of new grades for ABS-type plastics.
In the words of Fabian herter, Industry Manager Automotive at ELIX Polymers:
During the fair we got an idea of the high growth potential of the 3D printing market. We believe that ELIX can be an important player in this exciting market. 3D printing fits very well into our strategy focused on specializing in tailored products and services.
Some new grades have already been validated by manufacturers of filaments, 3D printers and final parts using fused filament manufacturing (FFF), more commonly known as FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling).
ELIX Polymers tells us about their latest work done on ABS plastic for 3D printing.
For his part, as he explains Antonio Prunera, Head of Quality Business Development:
The aim is not only to develop new formulas, but also to identify the right partners and create a database of validated filament manufacturers.
These are the filaments that, to date, have already been created. As you can see in the description of each of them, although they are all considered ABS plastic, the truth is that each one could be specific for a specific use.
- ELIX ABS-3D GP general purpose degree
- ELIX ABS-3D FC a grade that complies with Regulation No. 10/2011 on plastic materials and articles intended to be in contact with food and the standards on biocompatibility (ISO 10993-1 and USP class VI) for medical and food contact applications
- ELIX ABS-3D HI grade with high impact resistance
- ELIX ABS-3D L grade with increased intercoat adhesion for complex parts
- ELIX ABS-3D NF ABS reinforced with natural fibers similar in appearance to wood for use in special 3D printers