Avnet has created an SBC with dimensions similar to the one Raspberry Pi 4 and with capabilities that would make it a great alternative, as well as some extras that are not present in the original Pi. It's about the plate MaaxBoard Mini, also based on ARM.
Sometimes it is interesting to take a look at this type of alternate plates. Although the original Raspberry Pi is the most successful and the one that you will find the most help and gadgets, it is also true that other boards provide some superior technical characteristics, or certain functions with which the Pi cannot compete.
Maaxboard Mini is also compatible with distributions GNU / Linux such as Debian, Ubuntu, etc., in addition to the Android 9.0 operating system. Also Microsoft Windows 10 IoT Core that will work with this Avnet board, as in the case of the Raspberry Pi.
If you are wondering about the price, the Maaxboard Mini has a cost of about $ 72.50, which is above an average Raspberry Pi, but it is also true that the hardware it includes is very attractive and it may sometimes be worth it if you are looking for something specific with those benefits. In addition, it has some starter kits as in the case of the Raspberry Pi or Arduino, and with certain accessories.
In short, Maaxboard Mini is an ideal board for projects of embedded computing, machine vision, as a platform for small AI applications, embedded kiosk, and for IoT ...
Technical characteristics of the Maaxboard Mini
As to hardware that the Maaxboard Mini has, the following should be noted:
- Processor NXP i.MX 8M Mini with QuadCore ARM Cortex-A53 at 1.8Ghz and an additional Cortex-M4F at 400Mhz. For more information consult the official website by NXP.
- Memory 2GB DDR4 SDRAM.
- EMMC storage supported to boot from it, although it is not included by default. In addition, it can be expanded by microSD thanks to its slot.
- Communication and connectivity: WiFi with on-board ceramic antenna (support for external antenna not included), Bluetooth 4.2, Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45), 4x USB 2.0, MIPI-DSI for display, MIIP-CSI for camera, audio expansion.
- Also includes 40-pin GPIO compatible with Raspberry Pi HATs, and 3v3 I / O voltages. In addition, it has UART, SPI and I2C.
- 2x user buttons, 1x for on / off, 2x LEDs
- It is powered by USB-C 5v / 3A and can work at temperatures between 0-70ºC
- 85x56mm dimensions