La domótica It has gone from being somewhat complex and that implied having a specific installation in the home to being something affordable and that can be adapted to any house, even those of older construction. Now there are a large number of devices to domotize your home such as smart speakers, smart bulbs, programmable plugs, or devices such as Google's Nest thermostat.
El Google Nest Thermostat It can be a good alternative and / or complement to smart speakers, and it provides other advantages and different functions for your home. If you want to discover more about this invention, I invite you to continue reading this guide ...
Table of Contents
Nest by Google series
Google Nest is a series of smart devices for the home that the search engine company has launched. But there are not only thermostats, but you can also find routers, smart speakers, or smart screens. For example, you must distinguish between:
- Thermostat Nest: the device that interests us in this article and about which you can read more information in the following sections.
- Google Nest Hub: it is a smart display. It integrates Google Assistant as a virtual assistant and you can ask it for things by means of commands from time to time. The advantage over smart speakers is that it has a screen where you can also see visual information. For example, you can ask him to show you the weather, or to put a video of a recipe, etc. By the way, there is also a MAX version with a larger screen size.
- Google Nest WiFi: It consists of a router and a wireless access point (or several to create a mesh or mesh). With this, Google intends to put an end to WiFi coverage problems in one go, reaching every corner of your home (up to 210 m2) intelligently.
- Google Nest Mini: a smart speaker in Mini format to install anywhere in your home. Google presented it with Google Assistant to ask for things with voice commands and as an evolution of its Google Home.
- Google Nest Protect: Google has wanted to go a little further by launching this smart device that is basically a smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) detector. Obviously, it has been empowered so that you know where the danger really is and report it through a mobile app. In addition, it has a presence detector and also allows you to light your way ...
What is the Nest thermostat?
El Nest thermostat It is not a simple thermostat that tells you the temperature in your home, it is much more. It is an intelligent device that you can take advantage of, to obtain information on temperature, security, etc. Google has taken great care in its design and efficiency, as well as the capabilities it brings.
This home automation gadget can be integrated with your usual heating system, allowing you to control it to save energy and maintain the right temperature at all times without you having to worry about anything. Only using its Android app can you do what you want and from wherever you want.
As a connected device, the Nest Thermostat has a learning system connected to the cloud, therefore, you will be smarter and learn from experience to determine the time it takes for the house to heat up, as well as the gradual loss of temperature. That way you can know more about when and how to act on the heating, with minimal use of the boiler so that your gas and electricity bill is economical.
In addition, consume less energy makes your home can be kept at the temperature you want being much more ECO and respectful with the environment. You could even control your home hot water system. All centralized and designed to offer you comfort and convenience.
According to Google, the Nest thermostat is compatible with mixed boilers, heating only, with hot water tanks, underfloor heating systems, condensing boilers (with OpenTherm standard), and even geothermal and air source heat pumps.
More technical details sound
- Screen: 24-bit color LCD, 5.3 cm in diameter and resolution 480x480px. The pixel density is 229 DPI.
- Sensors: temperature, relative humidity, motion detector (near and far) and ambient light.
- Materials: plastic and stainless steel ring.
- Sizes: 8.4 × 3.2 cm
- Weight: 244 grams
Nest installation and setup
Install Google Nest It is not too complicated if you are a handyman. The purchase package includes both Google Nest and a connection box called Heat Link, that is, the link or interface to connect the Nest thermostat to your home's air conditioning system.And by the way, Google has created an extensive network of official installers who do everything themselves for about € 90 if you don't know. However, if you know what you are doing, you can choose to proceed on your own and follow the steps below.
Once the package arrives and you take it out of the box, the steps to follow for installation are:
- Connect the Nest Thermostat to the Heat Link. You can do it wirelessly or through a couple of cables. The ideal is the first to save you the cables and to be able to place the Heat Link next to the boiler thermostat (or in replacement of it) and the Nest thermostat in the living room or main room. Also included in the kit is a 5v USB power adapter for the thermostat.
- Both the Nest Thermostat and the Heat Link are ready to screw them to the wall if you prefer. They can also be put on a desktop stand (sold separately) or wherever you want.
- Turn off your boiler and cut the light to manipulate the cables (it will avoid accidents with discharges). You old boiler thermostat it should have two cables (there could be others where there are more cables). To connect it, follow the guide where he explains all the cases. And is that the Heat Link has several connection ports to adapt to all types of boilers, so you must follow the steps for your specific case.
- Once the cables are connected, you can close the lid of the Heat Link and give the light of home again. Also turn on the boiler.
- Now turn on the Nest thermostat and the screen will turn on to start configuring it by following the software wizard that is very simple. In the end, in 15 or 30 min you will have it ready. By the way, Nest has a battery, so if it's charged you can take it to other rooms ...
- El Setup Wizard which is displayed on the screen and you can navigate through the menus using the steel ring like a roulette wheel to select what you want and then press on the screen to accept. That easy!
- Now the first thing will be select network Your home WiFi detecting. Also the connection to the chosen Heat Link (wired or wireless). Also select your location in your area to determine the weather and know how to adapt the temperature in the room. Of course, choose the language and temperature unit (degrees Celsius for Europe).
- Upon completion, you will test run. If everything has gone well, it will finish with that and show the temperature on the screen (target and room).
- If you want, at any time you can configure information displayed on the screen. For example, if you don't want it to show the temperature, you can configure it to show a digital clock or imitate an analog one, and even the weather forecast ...
- Thermostat: you can vary the desired temperature of a room, turn the heating off or on when it reaches a suitable temperature, turn the system back on if the temperature is no longer set, program various temperatures depending on the day, etc.
- Financial: learn from habits to create a personalized schedule. Recognize the preferences of each home, based on how you interact with the thermostat to adjust the temperature without your intervention. You will generate a temperature schedule and understand the heating and cooling cycles after the first few days of use to become more efficient.
- Connectivity: through the mobile app you can interact with it from wherever you are. Even from any other computer with a web browser.
- Sensors: if it does not detect presence at home, then it will lower the temperature to save.
- Ecosystem: There are many other products compatible with the Nest thermostat to continue domotizing your home and extend its capabilities. For example, with the Phillips Hue light bulb, Whirlpool appliances, surveillance cameras for security (both indoor and outdoor), etc. For example, you could install security cameras and see what happens from the Nest app itself.
Is the Nest Thermostat worth it?
- If you already have a programmable thermostat, then it is no longer so clear that the Nest thermostat is so worth it. On the one hand, the energy savings you can achieve with the Nest is minimal, although it is somewhat more ECO. But it is true that with the programmable thermostat you will not have the extra capabilities that a Nest provides. For example, the possibility of controlling it from the mobile app, or the use of home automation devices compatible with the ecosystem ...
- You already have a home automation with a smart thermostat, then the truth is that it is not worth having a Nest. It won't bring too many improvements in comfort or efficiency ...